Hereford Youth Scholarship
Purpose: Support excellence in ongoing studies in any undergraduate program leading to a career related to the livestock industry.
Award amount: $2500
Number awarded per year: up to 4 per year
Eligibility: applicants must be
1) current or past member of CJHA or have a connection to the Hereford cattle breed demonstrated through a letter of recommendation from an active member of the Canadian Hereford Association, not related to the applicant,
2) be registered for ongoing studies in an undergraduate program at a college or university (entering into the second, third or fourth year at the time of receiving the award) in any program leading to a career in the livestock industry. A person may only receive this scholarship once.
Application Process: application materials include:
1) High School transcripts,
2) Post-Secondary transcripts,
3) Standardized resume outlining extracurricular activities,
4) Two letters of reference from individuals not related to the applicant,
5) Written statement of 500 words or less outlining career goals,
6) Demonstration of registration in an education program related to the livestock industry.
Selection Process: Applications will be reviewed and ranked by the Keith Gilmore Foundation Trustees.
Criteria include demonstration of 1) academic achievement, 2) volunteer activities, 3) leadership potential within the livestock industry.
- Closing date for applications is June 1st
- Copies of grades and references to be included with application and winner must have grades confirmed by their university or college
- Selection is based on academic merit, contribution to school and/or community, an indication of career objectives and involvement and accomplishments in youth program
- All questions must be answered or marked "not applicable" (please print or type)
- Only successful applicants will be advised prior to September 1
- A career in the field of agriculture includes veterinary medicine
- Students may apply more than once, however students are limited to one scholarship per category.
- Completed applications should be mailed or submitted as a single pdf file and postmarked or e-mailed no later than June 1st (Faxes are not accepted)
How Do I Qualify?
Applicants must be a Canadian citizen.
For each of categories, the applicant must have completed a minimum of one year of college or university education and must be enrolled in the fall semester for another year of studies in a recognized college or university
Students may apply more than once, however students are limited to one scholarship per category.
Students may apply for a University or College outside of Canada.
Where do I apply?
Application forms are available from the Web site(see top right hand corner) or by writing to:
The Keith Gilmore Foundation
5160 Skyline Way NE